Who is the best play-by-play man in the NHL?
My guess is Rick Jeanerett.
Some of Jeanneret's most memorable calls:
* "AND THIS SERIES IS GOING BACK TO WHERE JIMMY HOFFA IS! BACK TO THE MEADOWLANDS IN NEW JERSEY!"
...after Dave Hannan's goal in the fourth overtime of Game 6 of the 1994 Eastern Conference Quarterfinals (the longest game in Sabres history) against the New Jersey Devils. This sent the series to a Game 7.
* "MAY DAY! MAY DAY! MAY DAY! MAY DAY! MAY DAY!"
...after winger Brad May's spectacular series-clinching overtime goal at the Buffalo Memorial Auditorium against Boston's Andy Moog in Game 4 of the 1993 Adams Division Semifinal. Of the call, Jeanneret would later say, "It just happened and I came out with the remark. All I can say is it was spontaneous. The words just came up. People ask, 'Did you plan to use that call?' How could I do that? That man (May) hadn't scored a goal in 29 or 30 games. If I were going to plan ahead, I'd start with No. 16 (Pat LaFontaine), No. 89 (Alexander Mogilny) or No. 10 (Dale Hawerchuk)." Despite his insistence that the call was spontaneous, Jeanneret had used "May Day!" at least once before, when May scored an overtime goal to beat the Blues at the Aud in January 1993.
* "CALL A COP! CALL A COP! HE ROBBED HIM BLIND!"
...after a Sabre goaltender makes a spectacular save.
* "ARE YOU READY LEGION OF DOOM? HERE COME THE BUFFALO SABRES!"
...after Derek Plante's Game 7 overtime winner in the 1997 Eastern Conference Quarterfinals against the Ottawa Senators.
* "CURTIS BROWN MAKES A MAD DASH DOWN THE ICE!"
... after Curtis Brown's game winner in the 2001 Eastern Conference Quarterfinals against Philadelphia.
* " ABSOLUTE BULLET!!-"
.. After Stu Barnes' overtime goal against the Penguins in the 2001 Semifinals against the Penguins.
* "STILL IN FRONT HE SCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORES!DAN... BRIERE! DANNY BRIERE! ON AT LEAST HIS 13th SHOT OF THE NIGHT, AND BUFFALO WINS IT IN DOUBLE OOOOOVERTIME!"
...after Sabre co-captain Daniel Briere scored the game-winning goal in the second overtime of Game 1 of the 2006 Eastern Conference Quarterfinals against the Philadelphia Flyers.
* "JASON POMINVILLE! SHORT-HANDED! OH, NOW DO YOU BELIEVE?! NOW DO YOU BELIEVE?! THESE GUYS ARE GOOD! SCARY GOOD!"
...after Jason Pominville's shorthanded, series winning goal against the Ottawa Senators in the 2nd round of the 2006 Stanley Cup Playoffs. He initially used the "These guys are good! Scary Good!" call when Tim Connolly tied game 1 of the series at 6 with 10.7 seconds remaining in regulation.
* "THERE HAVE BEEN MORE CHEAP SHOTS IN THIS GAME THAN IN A MEXICAN CANTINA DURING HAPPY HOUR!!"
...During a 2001 Eastern Conference Quarterfinals game against the Philadelphia Flyers
* "HOLY MACKEREL!!"
. when Brian Campbell laid out Philadelphia's R.J. Umberger during the 2006 Eastern Conference Quarterfinals.
* "HOLY MACKEREL, ROLL THE HIGHLIGHT FILM!"
.After a goal by Maxim Afinogenov.
* "TOP SHELF WHERE MAMA HIDES THE COOKIES!"
...after a goal is scored into the top part of the net. (Jeanneret has admitted he heard this catchphrase years ago but could not remember who the announcer was.)
* "STUUUUUUUUUUUU BARNES!"
... after a goal by Stu Barnes was scored.
* "HOLY ZHITNIK!"
... after a goal by Alexei Zhitnik was scored.
* "LA LA LA LA LA LA LAFONTAINE!"
...after each goal scored by Hall of Fame center and past Sabre captain Pat LaFontaine in the early to mid 90s.
* "OOOHHH MY THE GOOSE IS REALLY HONKING NOW!!'"
...after a goal or great play by Paul Gaustad.
* "CHIRS DRUUUUUUUUUUUURY"
...after a goal by Chris Drury.
Some of Jeanneret's nicknames for Sabres players over the years include:
* The French Gorilla (Donald Audette)
* The Little Devil (Miroslav Satan)
* The Sandman (Geoff Sanderson)
* Bobby O (Bob Sauve)
* Captain Crunch (Michael Peca)
* Alexander the Great (Alexander Mogilny)
* The Boogeyman (Bob Boughner)
* Wow-ie Hous-ley (Phil Housley)
* Oo-la-la Pierre (Pierre Turgeon)
* Matt the Rat (Matt Barnaby)
* Rayzor (Rob Ray)
* The Man from Vlad (Vladimir Tsyplakov)
* The Goose (Paul Gaustad)
* Soupy (Brian Campbell)
* The Dominator (Dominik Hasek)
* Heinze 57 (Steve Heinze)
* TV (Thomas Vanek)
He's also been the radio play-by-play guy for the Carolina Hurricanes since their entry into the NHL as the Hartford Whalers (in '79-'80) and is a treasure trove of hockey knowledge and almost never skips a game (probably two to five over his career).
Bob Chase for the Fort Wayne Komets (ECHL) has been doing their games for over 50 years. He is good but not in the NHL.
The best play-by-play man in the business is Curt Keilback for the Phoenix Coyotes. He turns the words "rebound" and "Nagy" into works of vocal art.
The best telecast TEAM is Joe Beninotti and Craig Laughlin for the Washington Capitals.
Just my 2 cents.
Hughson and Cuthert by far the best on any Canadian televised broadcast.
i have his d.v.d its amazing
those guys on vs were soooooo dull the other night! you don't even know when someone scores, they're so bland about it.
Anyhoo, I like Tom Foley on the Hawks 'casts and Chris Cuthbert up in Canada (but it is slim pickings here north of the border...almost all guys cannot hold a candle to the late great Danny Gallivan).
games on Fox Sports Detroit are the best in hockey.
More Questions & Answers...